With all the treatments that we buy for our skin, we often neglect our lips, but they need extra love too! The skin on your lips is extremely thin and lacks oil glands, making them prone to dryness: that’s why they chap so easily…
I’ve got just the thing for you!
Lip scrubs are a beautiful treatment. They leave your lips soft, with a pretty, natural glow that you won’t want to cover up with lipstick. But, if you do wear lipstick, it will go on better than ever!
You can buy these scrubs at the store, but they’re not cheap and are often full of preservatives and unwanted chemicals! Let’s make our own! And, let’s use natural and nourishing ingredients that will rival any store-bought scrub!
Here’s what you’re using:
Coconut oil – a rich oil that nourishes the skin unlike vaseline or petroleum-based lip balms which can only coat your lips.
Honey – a humectant, which means it will help the lips to retain moisture. It also contains vitamins, minerals, and amino acids which nourish the skin. And it’s naturally anti-viral and anti-fungal (which is why it’s also great for acne and wound healing too).
Brown sugar – acts as your gentle (yummy) exfoliator
Flavors are up to you but if you use pure raw cacao powder or vanilla, you’re packing your scrub with antioxidants. Coffee helps to invigorate red blood cells, giving a lovely pink glow!
Let’s get started!
- 1 Tbls unrefined organic coconut oil (I bought mine here)
- 1 Tbls raw honey (manuka if you have it)
- 2 Tsp brown sugar
- flavors *optional* (vanilla, chocolate powder, coffee powder…)
- container – any small jar with a lid
- Blend your coconut oil and honey until smooth and creamy. (the coconut oil should be soft but solid to start – so if it’s melted, knock it in the fridge for 15 minutes before you blend)
- Once you have your creamy base – mix in your sugar and flavors, if you choose.
- Pack it in your jar and store it in the fridge – lasts for up to 2 weeks!
- To use: simply scoop out a bit and scrub. I’d say to rinse it off, but who are we kidding, I lick it off!
You could sell this stuff, it’s so great! Better yet, make a jar for a well deserving friend:
I made my scrub with cocoa powder and vanilla essence and I used an old vitamin jar to store it in. Does the trick!