I’m convinced that to be the worlds best host/party guest, you only really need one dependable signature dish. One that’s so simple, you know it by heart and can whip it up with complete ease. Everyone thinks you’re a kitchen genius (which you are!) and it’s all because one day you read a blog where you discovered this Apple Crumble recipe!
That’s exactly what’s happened to me. I’m still basking in the greatness of this recipe – and I want to share the spotlight with you! I mean, even if one day we end up at the same party, bringing the same dish – it will only mean that there’s more to go around!
To make the crumble topping, I stuck to the recipe – using butter, white flour and sugar. But I’ll start playing with it – perhaps trying whole wheat flour, or another whole grain flour. I’ll play with the sugar too – I may try using coconut sugar or even maple syrup. Perhaps substituting coconut oil for the butter…
Really, any excuse to make this dessert into a perfectly acceptable breakfast option too! If you come up with a healthier version – please share it with us!
I highly recommend you pair your apple crumble with natural greek yogurt! I’m no chef, but I dare say it helps to balance out the flavours.
Here’s the best part about this dish – I’ve eaten it hot out of the oven and cold out of the fridge – and it’s beautiful both ways!
Apple Crumble Recipe
- 6 apples, cored and sliced (mix of red and green for sweet and tart)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds (or any nut you like)
- 5 tbsp of softened butter
- pinch of salt
- Set your oven to 400f/200c
- peel, core and slice your apples
- in a baking dish, add the base layer of apples with flour and sugar. Mix with your hands to combine. My apples browned a bit, but it didn’t affect the outcome.
- In a bowl, mix the oats, flour, sugar, nuts, butter and salt. Work with your hands to form dry clumps. This will be your crumble.
- Add the crumble topping to evenly cover the apples
- Knock the whole thing into the oven and bake for about 40 minutes until the top is browned and the apples have baked soft.
- Serve with natural yogurt
Singapore Shopping Guide
- Coconut oil: Where to buy coconut oil in Singapore