I’m convinced that to be the worlds best host/party guest, you only really need one dependable signature dish. One that’s so simple, you know it by heart and can whip it up with complete ease. Everyone thinks you’re a kitchen genius (which you are!) and it’s all because one day you read a blog where you discovered this Apple Crumble recipe!
That’s exactly what’s happened to me. I’m still basking in the greatness of this recipe – and I want to share the spotlight with you! I mean, even if one day we end up at the same party, bringing the same dish – it will only mean that there’s more to go around!
To make the crumble topping, I stuck to the recipe – using butter, white flour and sugar. But I’ll start playing with it – perhaps trying whole wheat flour, or another whole grain flour. I’ll play with the sugar too – I may try using coconut sugar or even maple syrup. Perhaps substituting coconut oil for the butter…
Really, any excuse to make this dessert into a perfectly acceptable breakfast option too! If you come up with a healthier version – please share it with us!
I highly recommend you pair your apple crumble with natural greek yogurt! I’m no chef, but I dare say it helps to balance out the flavours.
Here’s the best part about this dish – I’ve eaten it hot out of the oven and cold out of the fridge – and it’s beautiful both ways!
Apple Crumble Recipe
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 6 apples, cored and sliced ((mix of red and green for sweet and tart))
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
for the crumble topping:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds ((or any nut you like))
- 5 tbsp of softened butter
- pinch of salt
- Set your oven to 400f/200c
- peel, core and slice your apples
- in a baking dish, add the base layer of apples with flour and sugar. Mix with your hands to combine. My apples browned a bit, but it didn’t affect the outcome.
- In a bowl, mix the oats, flour, sugar, nuts, butter and salt. Work with your hands to form dry clumps. This will be your crumble.
- Add the crumble topping to evenly cover the apples
- Knock the whole thing into the oven and bake for about 40 minutes until the top is browned and the apples have baked soft.
- Serve with natural yogurt
[ribbon title=”Singapore Shopping Guide”][/ribbon]
- Coconut oil: Where to buy coconut oil in Singapore
7 responses to “Your Go-To Dessert // Apple Crumble Recipe”
Ohhhhhh it looks Yum!
Hi Megan! It is – I’ve been eating it for breakfast, and I don’t feel bad about it! 🙂 If you try is let us know how you get on!
I tried this out last night. Very tasty!
It’s good, right!? So glad you tried it!
I was just thinking about making it! I used to just make the apple dessert without the crumble for a quick fix. Noticed that this recipe does not include cinnamon. I shall try this out without it. Thanks!
Hi Kin – my hubby’s not a huge fan of cinnamon in his apple desserts – so I got used to leaving it out – but whatever works best for you is definitely the way to go! 🙂 I hope you enjoy the recipe!!
[…] Apple Crumble […]