This comes from experience – my household became increasingly allergenic throughout the months. My husband would get these sneezing fits, my daughter developed what are called “allergic shiners” and there were lot of snuffly noses all around. When we were outdoors, we were fine, but the moment we came home, the symptoms started! Here I wanted my home to be a safe haven for my family, but it seemed that it was actually making them sick…
What was causing this?
Dust is a mixture of dirt, skin cells, dander, spores, mites and other living compounds which, under the right conditions can begin to multiply. In my case dust was flying in from a construction site next door. With the rain and heat, the house became an ideal climate for mold, mildew… and I suspect… dust mites to breed!
Here’s the thing – normal housework alone will not help – if the spores find a porous wet surface to grow in, simply wiping it clean is not enough, you must kill it from the roots. Equally, vacuuming alone will not eliminate mites. They have velcro like hairs on their legs which anchor them in place…the little buggers.
Dust mites thrive on dead human skin cells in bedding, carpeting and upholstery. These microscopic animals multiply by the thousands in warm and humid conditions – pretty much Singapore, all year round! Dust mites are the most common cause of allergy from house dust.
Molds reproduce by releasing tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are moist. About one in three people can have allergic reactions to mold.
There are plenty of cleaners that use chemical agents to combat these little terrors, but I definitely don’t want to add another toxic element into the mix!
I did my research… and I have found an all natural solution! Tea Tree Oil. This oil is amazing! It is a triple threat – antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal! This means it kills bacteria, viruses and fungus that harbor in our home and can cause all kinds of health issues. Tea tree oil is a volatile compound, which means it even kills bacteria just when sprayed in the air! You’ll want to use it all over your kitchen!
I created my Bye-Bye Mites & Mold spray and I now spray it on my soft furnishing to keep dust mites away. The idea is to create an inhospitable environment for them. I also periodically spray it on my daughter’s wooden dollhouse (where a mold once grew), in my closet, the air-con and anywhere it gets musty (shoe closet) to deodorize and to keep beasties and mold from growing.
If you think that you might have mold & dust mites or want to make sure that you don’t get them – you’ll need a powerful, all-natural cleaner.
Take action and make it yourself!
Bye-Bye Mites & Mold – All-Natural Mites & Mold Killer Recipe
- 2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil
- 1 dark bottle (not crystal clear – oils are light-sensitive)
Mix, shake and spray on affected areas. Spray periodically to maintain a clean environment. It has a strong odor, but that’s because it’s powerful – and the smell will dissipate after a short time.
- Spray Mattresses, linen, curtains, upholstery and carpets to keep mites away
- Spray anywhere that mold and mildew grows or would happily grow (musty closets, bathroom and rooms)
Warning: Tea Tree Oil is highly concentrated. It is safe when diluted and in small amounts, even applied neat on the skin..but it should be used carefully! Always buy high quality, pure essential oil – you get what you pay for. Keep away from small hands and paws, never ingest and keep your home well ventilated when you spray.
- Tip: Re-purpose an old cleaning bottle
- I bought my Tea Tree Oil from The Skin Pharmacist