Junk mail is a big problem in my home in Singapore.
Well, it was.
What was so frustrating, aside from a mailbox full of ads, was seeing all this paper, ink and dye going to waste. The natural resources consumed, the toxic chemicals used – all for that piece of paper to reach your mailbox in a vain attempt to capture your attention… 44 percent of junk mail is thrown away unopened, but only half of that (22 percent) is recycled.
I came across an article that explained how to opt out of receiving junk mail in Singapore and decided to give it a try… the answer was so simple!
If you want to end junk mail today – here’s how I managed to cut it out and control the amount of waste that goes through my home:
How to stop receiving junk mail in Singapore
Here’s what you do:
1. E-mail Singapore Post with your details ([email protected]) and ask to be removed from their advertising list
– or –
2. Go to the SingPost website and opt-out on line: Go here
Make the following selections in the contact form:
- Service Type: Postal
- Category: Advertising Mail
- Sub Category: OPT-OUT Service
You’ll be given a second form to complete with your address and contact details:
Complete the form in full and send it off to SingPost.
3. Wait for a response and look out for a little green sticker to magically appear on your mailbox!
1 month later, I’ve only received three pieces of junk mail – where I used to get three a day!
I love it when they make it easy for us to be green!