Every natural home has to have aloe on hand. Whether it’s bottled, or fresh – aloe does wonders for your skin, hair and health! We all know that it’s good for burns – but you really needn’t wait for an accident to use aloe!
Benefits: Aloe packs an impressive 75 nutrients and 200 active compounds including 20 minerals, 18 amino acids and 12 vitamins – a true superfood. Not only does it nourish the body, but with its regenerative properties it helps to protect and heal it as well. I thinks it’s a good habit to apply aloe after a day out – even if you’re not out sunbathing, you’re still getting exposed to sun and pollution and this accumulation of damage is what ages us. Aloe helps the body to repair itself and boosts new cell production, making it your new favorite anti-aging care!
It works in the same way when you consume it – it helps to boost your immunity and keeps your body strong from the inside out!
Choose it: Fresh aloe is always great. When you cut out the inner fillet, you’ll see a yellow liquid form – it smells obnoxious and when consumed, it’s a laxative – so I always wash it under water first. If fresh aloe is not easy for you to come around, or if like me you go through a lot of it – I like this brand of bottled aloe vera gel, Lily of the Desert. It’s 100% pure aloe vera gel, with a natural food preservative – which I like because it also helps to preserve any skincare I make with it.
Store it: If you buy it from the bottle, store it in the fridge. It should last 6 months once opened. A fresh cut leaf keeps for 2-3 weeks in the fridge. You can just slice from it as you need.
Use it: You can apply it directly on the skin. If you use it fresh, check this post where I show how to remove the inner fillet. Here are three recipes for you to try!
Aloe Sea Salt Spray Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup aloe gel
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- If using fresh aloe, cut out the inner fillet, wash it under water and blend it to liquidize.
- Mix the ingredients into a spray bottle.
Aloe Clay Mask Recipe
- 2 tbsp aloe gel
- 1 tbsp clay powder
- mix the ingredients together. This amount is enough for the face, but you can make more and do your whole body! It should form a thick paste.
- Apply it onto the skin and let it sit for about 15 minutes until it dries. You’ll feel a tightness. Wash it off in the shower.
Aloe Green Shake Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup aloe gel or 1 slice of inner fillet from a plant
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 banana
- 1 green apple
- 1 pear
- 1 nib ginger optional
- blend all the ingredients until completely smooth, about 20-30 seconds.
Online Shopping Guide
- Bottled Aloe Gel – I’m liking this brand, Lily of the Desert – you can pick it up at iHerb