Hi, if you’re staying home because of the coronavirus pandemic, you’re in the right place! I’m Militza, and I’ve been teaching student how to make safe and natural homemade products for almost 10 years.
The advice below is up-to-date, but when you’re done reading, you’ll find more information and resources on my Instagram account, @littlegreendot.
Stay home, and stay safe! ?
If you know children, you’ll know that children love play-dough! Parents love it too, because it’s a simple activity that keeps little ones happily entertained!
The best kind of play-dough is homemade play-dough! It’s easy, it gets the kids involved, and with this recipe: it’s completely all natural!
Before we get started, let’s talk quickly about how we color it. There are two methods that people mostly follow:
- Boiling fruit and vegetables. This works very well, but it’s labor intensive and to be honest, with the prices of strawberries and blueberries, I’d rather eat them than use them as dye!
- Using food colouring. It’s artificial and for me, I jump on the opportunity to teach children that some of the loveliest colors come straight from nature!
But, after a lot of playing around in the kitchen, I have found a different method of coloring that is easy, inexpensive and completely all-natural!
Homemade Playdough with Natural Colouring Recipe
Here’s what you need:
(find it in the spice section of your supermarket and health shops)
Ingredients: (for one ball of play-dough)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 tbsp cream of tartare
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp powder for color
The first thing to do is to cook your dough. It takes just 3 minutes!
Mix all of your ingredients in a saucepan. Put over a low heat and cook until it all clumps together into a ball.
Plop it onto your workstation and knead the dough for a good minute.
While it’s still warm, get ready to add your color!
Easy! The reason why I love using dry powder is that you can make one big batch of dough, then break it up into individual balls, sprinkle each with a different color, and you’re done.
The alternative is adding color to water and cooking one color at a time…
Either way, you will have a rainbow of colors!
I know that not all of you are parents, but many of you are uncles or aunties. As a Mommy, I will tell you that kids love this and parents appreciate it! Whip up some homemade playdough, and make it a gift!
- Your homemade play-dough will last 2-3 weeks in an airtight container! Keep it in the fridge and double that!
- Have a look around the spice section of your supermarket – you might find natural foods that produce even more colors!
When you try this recipe, let me know in the comments how it works out. Or post your photos to our Facebook page – I’m dying to see them!