I’m on a massive soup kick! It feels so nourishing to seat – but while I love a good slow cooked meal – sometimes you really do need it quick!
Here’s the secret to making this soup quick and easy – firstly we’re using canned goods, simple enough – but also what you do is to make a homemade stock the night before and set it to cook while you sleep. It’s going to pack in so much flavour, that when it comes to making your soup – it takes little effort to make it amazing!
You can do a chicken stock or do a veggie stock, with 6 cups of water, 2 large carrots, 1 onion, some garlic and herbs.
The soup itself starts with 3 flavours: onion, garlic and cilantro stems. Once they saute soft, you just add in your cans of beans, tomato and pour in that lovely homemade stock! And you are good to go!
Normally in a tortilla soup, you’d add on sliced tortilla wraps, baked crisp in the oven. But I discovered a quicker way – tortilla chips. Super crunchy and salty, I love it. Look for a better brand, made well – and you’re all good! I like the way better snacks.
Quick & Dirty Mexican Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 can plum tomato
- 1 can black bean
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 4 cups stock (veg or chicken)
- bag of tortilla chips (like this)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil for sautéing
- salt and pepper to taste
- dice the onion, garlic and cilantro stems only
- reserve the cilantro tips
- heat up the olive oil and add the spices
- sauté the onion, garlic and cilantro stems for 3-5 minutes until soft
- add the can of beans and tomato
- cook for 1 minute and add salt and pepper to taste
- pour in the stock and cook down for 10 minutes
- check for salt
- turn off the heat, add the cilantro tips
serve this soup with different toppings, like
- avocado slices
- diced tomato, shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- grated cheese
- jalapeno peppers
[ribbon title=”Singapore Shopping Guide”][/ribbon]
Living in Singapore? Shop this recipe from right over here!
plus check out this idea to make this soup a portable lunch