This week I taught a workshop on how to Detoxify Your Skin. It’s always fun – we show you tons of recipes to make your own natural skincare – but one of my favorite beauty recipes is actually not something that you put onto your skin, but rather into your body! It’s a routine that I love doing and I really want to encourage you to join me! It’s going to help you detoxify your body and glow!
Here’s what you do: Right when you wake up, before you eat anything – drink a big glass of warm water with a squeeze of lemon. There are a lot of health reasons why, but I’m most excited about the change of perspective that this routine offers.
Here’s the thing: when it comes to our culture of beauty, think about how many products we use on our skin everyday. The average consumer uses – are you ready for this: 16! If you start to count, there’s your lotion, every bit of make-up, night-cream, eye cream, wrinkle cream, face wash, toner… the list goes on.
We use all of these beauty products, exposing our skin to so many different chemicals and the really irritating part is that a lot of them don’t even work. If you really want to look your best – it’s about changing your perspective, from focusing on achieving “beauty” to achieving health. Instead of looking to products to solve your beauty concerns, look at healthy foods, which can really can improve your skin at a cellular level!
When you start doing this morning detox routine, you feel and see results – a lot of your skin concerns may clear up and you’ll realize that you never needed all the products and creams! When you feed your body what it needs and help it to detoxify, you’ll see:
- reduction in eye circles
- clearer skin
- glowing skin
- anti-ageing effects
- increased energy
- weight control
So that’s where the water and lemons help! Hydrated skin is supple, less prone to wrinkling and flushes your body of toxins. I’m convinced that a lot of people looking for anti-aging creams are actually just dehydrated! With the lemons, you’re going to get an extra boost of Vitamin C which helps to build collagen and keep your skin taut and firm! It also helps to boost your digestion and metabolism, to help you burn calories through out the day. Tell me, what product can promise all that! So stay out of the beauty aisles, save your money, and use it for something really useful!
Are you ready to try it? Here’s what you do:
Morning Detox Routine
- 1/2 lemon
- 2-4 cups warm water
- squeeze the lemon into your warm water
- drink this first thing in the morning, before breakfast, then eat as normal. Though, you may find that by starting your day with this healthy intention, it really changes the way you think about what kind of foods you want to eat the rest of the day!
- If your mornings are rushed, just drink your lemon water as you get dressed.
- do this every single morning for 21 days, then report back and tell us what changes you've noticed!
p.s. set yourself up for success! This routine is easy, but you need to set your mind to creating a healthy habit…
- Go to the store today and buy 4 lemons, so you’re set for the week.
- To help you track and keep your habits, I love the app Coach.me – it has a really fun swiping motion to check off your list of goals as you tackle them throughout the day. Plus you can invite friends to cheer you on and keep you accountable to achieving the things that you want for yourself.
Go get those lemons, and join me tomorrow morning for the 21 Day Morning Detox Routine!