A few weeks back, I received an email from a reader with such a great tip, that I knew I needed to share it with you too. This idea comes from Loring who just bought himself a new juicer and, like so many of us, was trying to find ways of using his leftover juice pulp. He came up with the best idea – a juice pulp veggie stock! How clever is that? I thought it was brilliant, so I gave it a go and what do you know? One of my tastiest stocks yet!
how to make a stock from leftovers:
Now, I keep a baggie of pulp in the freezer just for this use. Last week after roasting a chicken, I was left with the carcass, so decided the time was right to make a leftover stock. p.s. if you’re vegetarian, skip the bones and just go straight for the veg – either way this idea is such a good way to get the most out of your food!
For my stock, I used my carrot and celery pulp, with a few extra flavours: chicken, fresh rosemary and onions. All those flavours and nutrients infuse into a stock, which you can now use as the base of any soup! I poured the extra stock into a muffin tray to make giant frozen cubes, ready to go when I need. So simple, it’s brilliant! Give it a go – I think you’ll love it too.
You can use this stock to make rice, a quick soup or in any recipe that calls for stock cubes.
Homemade Juice Pulp Stock Recipe
- 2 cups pulp – carrot, leafy greens, celery … whatever you have
- extra flavour boost: bay leaf, peppercorns, fresh herbs, garlic, onion, ginger, lemongrass … whatever you like
- optional: the bones from a leftover roast
- 8 cups water
- combine all the ingredients in a large pot
- cover and set on a gentle boil, then bring it down to a simmer for 1-2 hours (checking that the water level doesn’t go down too much)
- strain and store in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze in a muffin tray to make large frozen stock cubes.
A leftover stock is essentially free to make! And when it’s this easy – why not make it yourself! Thanks Loring for this awesome tip! We stand to learn so much more from each other, so everyone – keep the ideas coming!
don’t forget, we’re all in this together!
– Militza x