I have such a beautiful recipe for you! You may sometimes pick up a jar of pesto from the supermarket – and sure some are lovely, most are expensive, a lot are made with added preservatives and ingredients… anyway none of that is of any concern to you anymore! Once you see how easy it is to make your own pesto – you’ll be whipping of jars of it and dishing out gourmet meals like a pro! The secret is in the ingredients: fresh, beautiful and bursting with flavour. Sounds like springtime to me…
Here it is:
Springtime Spinach Pesto
Pesto is traditionally made with basil. It’s delicious and I do love it, but we are not about limiting ourselves here. So, I played around in the kitchen and made this spinach pesto… Can I just say, I love when you have an idea, find some recipes, try it out and the results – blow your own socks off! It doesn’t always happen that way, I’ve had plenty of disasters. Like my celery and ginger juice… but this spinach pesto is an absolute winner!
Try this recipe, and play with a mix of leafy greens and herbs. Spinach, kale, arugula, basil, parsley… go wild. Hey, wild rocket maybe? You get the idea!
- 2 cups of fresh spinach (or greens of your choice. you can also add in some herbs like basil or parsley)
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of toasted pine nuts. (if you don’t like the price of pine nuts, try walnuts)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- a squeeze (about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice)
- a good pinch of sea salt and pepper (adjust to your liking)
- Whizz up all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender until creamy
- Store it in a jar and top it off with a bit of olive oil to help it keep longer. Wil be good for a week.
Here’s how I ate my pesto this morning. By the way, we also had it in our spaghetti last night!
Baked Eggs with Springtime Spinach Pesto
This is the kind of breakfast that you can whip up in no time. If you have your pesto in the fridge, you’ve got a restaurant-style meal on the table in minutes! So make that pesto!
- 1 egg
- cherry tomatoes
- Springtime Pesto
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Get an oven safe dish, and butter the bottom and sides so your egg won’t stick. You can use small individual dishes or a make a few eggs inside a larger dish.
- Crack the egg inside, add a few cherry tomatoes cut in half and a few spoonfuls of the Springtime Pesto
- Sprinkle over with salt & pepper
- Bake it for 10 minutes and then check on it until you get the eggs the way you like it, runny or well-cooked.
- Spoon it onto bread.
3 responses to “Springtime Pesto Recipe + a Recipe for How to Eat It!”
I love spinach pesto! Though I have to admit I discovered it after trying to find more ways to incorporate spinach (a galactagogue) in my diet. I make mine with cashew nuts for that creamy flavour. 🙂
Cashew nuts sounds fantastic!! I’ll give that one a go next time 🙂
[…] Springtime Spinach Pesto […]