This body scrub recipe is for the days that you’re feeling dull… too many days in a row – and we start to feel unmotivated, sad, lethargic, stagnant. And because our skin is a communication organ – when you’re in a slump – you might see blocked pores, sluggish skin, a buildup of excess fluids like bloating and oiliness… It your skin saying to you: it’s time to stir the pot!
The –aha– game changing moment in my life, was when I realised that skincare is an awesome tool for wellness. It’s an opportunity to bookend your days with a practice of checking in with yourself, seeing where you’re at – and taking care of your needs.
Feeling dull? This herbal scrub treatment will give you an uplifting effect, create movement in your system, releases congestion and give you a glow. It makes you feel inspired, flowing and bright – motivated to do something new!
Ingredients that get you grooving
Mint totally wakes you up! The cool aromatherapy brings you right into the moment, connects your mind and body so that you can really start to feel the positive changes. On our skin, mint is refreshing it wakes up dull skin and helps to soothe any discomforts that you may be feeling.
Ginger gives you a little bit of warmth, encourages your circulation to move and helps your body to break stagnation. You can use dried ginger, or fresh.
Lemons are cleansing and astringent, clearing out your pores and releasing excess fluids. The aromatherapy from the lemon peel releases negative feelings and brightens your mood
Sugar exfoliates your skin, promotes cell turnover revealing a fresher, newer you!
Herbal Skincare Tip:
When using fresh ginger in a dry or oil based recipe (like a scrub), squeeze out the excess water first (ginger juice) so that it doesn’t make your scrub all gummy.
Grate the ginger – and then with your fingers, squeeze out the juice.
You can make a ginger tea with the juice!
And for my scrubs – I always blend the sugar to break down the grains! Im not a fan of big grainy scrubs for the skin – its not necessary and can be too rough. Here’s why I blend it smooth!
The recipe below is for a single use. Make a fresh batch in minutes, anytime you feel that you need it 🙂
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger, squeeze excess water
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- Grate the fresh ginger and with your own fingers, press and squeeze out the excess water – so that the ginger is not too moist.
- In a bullet blender, blend together: ginger, lemon zest, fresh mint and sugar
- Blend, pulse, shake and continue blending until the sugar grains and fresh ingredients are broken down and well combined.
- Pour out the scrub into a container that you can bring into the shower
- Drizzle in olive oil, coconut oil or your oil of choice – about 1 tablespoon or more depending on how “wet” you like your scrub to feel
- Give everything a stir to combine the oil
- HOW TO USE: Wet your skin in the shower and then turn off the water. Begin to scrub from your feet up towards your heart – and from your arms neck down towards your heart. Scrub in invigorating, circular motions. Rinse clean.