Today’s recipe for infused body oil – comes from Alina of Abundant Earth. She’s an incredibly skilled herbalist and created a blend that perfect for the summertime. Your skin will glisten and glow and the scent is beautiful… honestly I’ve been smelling my arm, in the cafe as I write this. I know I look crazy – but it’s so yummy!
A body oil is brilliant – you can use it from head to toe. It’s your hair oil, cuticle oil, your moisturiser. You can use it in the shower (great for shaving) or in the bath. And because you’re using real food for your skincare, it’s going to offer you so much goodness:
- hydration: Oil helps your skin to maintain its hydration, like a moisturiser. But it’s also full of essential fatty acids, which have been shown to increase elasticity so that your skin is soft and supple.
- nourishment: When you use a cold-pressed, virgin oil – you get the building blocks to creating healthy strong skin.
And its surprisingly easy to make! So save your money and raid your kitchen for the ingredients!! Alina shows us her recipe below.
I used a glass soap dispenser, which is perfect for this! Because the herbs are large, they don’t travel up the tube – but if you choose to use a different, smaller herb – store it in a regular bottle.
Summer Time Breeze Body Oil Recipe
with Alina, Abundant Earth
Have you ever had a familiar fragrance spontaneously drift past, and find yourself instantly indulging in a past memory, or inhaling just a touch deeper, to get more of it?
Well, when Little Green Dot asked me for “Summer in a bottle”, I immediately knew it had to have some citrus in it (think warm sun kisses radiating joy and happiness), and a touch of floral, for those hot summer breezes that carry a hint of our tropical flowers.
This is so easy to make, you’ll soon be patting yourself on your perfumed, summer-ready, oil-glazed shoulder.
you’ll need :
- 50ml glass bottle
- 50ml cold pressed base oil, e.g. sweet almond or grape seed oil
- 10 drops geranium essential oil (uplifting and relaxing, a wonderful balancing oil, so ideal if you travel often)
- 5 drops bergamot (a green citrus scent that is refreshing and cheerful. It’s what makes your Earl Grey Tea smell divine!)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon of dried rose petals (start low, and you can add as you go if you want more)
- 1 teaspoon of dried lemongrass (same applies as per the rose petals)
- Put your dried rose and lemongrass into the glass bottle.
- Add the essential oils.
- Add the base oil.
Screw on your cap, roll the bottle gently between your palms, and voila, Summertime in a bottle! And the beauty of this oil is, like a good wine, it gets better with age. The dried herbs you have added gradually release their aroma into your oil as time passes, fragrance gradually transforms over time. Your body oil won’t smell the same next week as it does today. How fun is that!
Living in Singapore? Head over to the Marketplace to find the best eco-shops and make your own healthy oatmeal bowls at home! Click here to discover more!
Like this recipe? Share the glow with your friends by clicking the share buttons below!