This playdough recipe is a life-saver! It’s your 1 hour break. It’s the sensory play that’s so good for them. It’s the rainy afternoon, the boredom buster and the creative expression that helps them thrive!
All you do is mix the ingredients together, cook it and in just 5 minutes you have scented, homemade, play-for-days, play dough!
This idea came from my daughter’s birthday. I needed something kids enjoy – that’s simple, inexpensive and without the plastic waste that usually comes with a birthday party. I created a play dough station with huge balls of homemade play dough and fun topping like flowers tops, cinnamon sticks, anise stars… the kids got super creative. They made pretend cookies, created a bakery shop and played well into the night. Which, we adults appreciated very much! It was a total success – click here to see that party.
If you haven’t made homemade play dough yet – I encourage you to try it. No plastic containers to throw away, no visits to massive toy stores, no weird chemical smells. Fun for day!
Bake Shop Scented PlayDough Recipe
ingredients: (makes 1 ball of playdough)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cream of tartare
- 1 tablespoon food flavouring
- drops of food coloring
- in a pot, mix all of the ingredients together
- mix well to break up lumps
- cook on the stove top for around five minutes or until it comes together
- remove the play dough to cool and immediately clean that pot otherwise it sticks!
- knead the dough for a minute and it’s ready to go
- store in an airtight container or baggie. Will last for 1-2 weeks
Hope you give this recipe a go! And if you don’t have little ones saying “I’m bored!” then share this recipe to someone who does! They’ll love you for it!