A morning routine is a powerful way to set the tone for the kind of day you want to have.
This year – I started waking up early an hour early, on purpose – and it’s absolutely changed my life. If you feel stressed in the mornings, in a rush, not taking care of yourself. If you are groggy and low on energy – this 10 minute routine will revitalise you and transform the way you feel.
I’m always looking for new ideas – so I reached out to Liv, a successful yogi and creator of FitSphere, to share tips on how to activate our body and mind. I said to her:
“Liv, for people who are ready to start feeling better, who want more energy, who want to wake up feeling excited about the day – what kind of yoga stretches do you recommend?”
Liv invited me to her home and showed me a simple morning routine that you can do from bed, before you even get up! It involves a few simple yoga stretches with a mediation break. I was so excited to share this with you – I think you’ll love it and I know that this simple routine can have a massive impact on the way you feel.
Click through the gallery below for the step-by-step guide to feeling great…
1. Good morning sunshine!
Your alarm just went off. Don’t hit snooze – instead activate your body with a good long stretch. Point your toes and pull your arms back. Stretch as long as you can for a count of 15.
2. Hip Joint Stretch Pull your knees up towards your chest and hold. Try to create space between your stomach and your legs by scooping your lower abdomen. This will strengthen your core and abdominals. Hold for a count of 15.
3. Spine Stretch Twist one let over the other to stretch the spine and hold for a count of 15 for each side. Sit up from the right side, so that your heart remains open and free from pressure as you pull yourself up.
4. Side Stretch This is for the side of your torso and up through your arm. Keep your bottom on the bed and gently stretch as far as it feels comfortable – without lifting your sit bones off the bed. Hold for a count of 15 on each side.
5. Hip Opening Stretch This is a revitalising stretch that will help to open your hips. If it’s comfortable, grab your your foot and gently pull to stretch your leg as well. Hold each side for 15 seconds.
6. Meditate Now we take a moment to meditate. Meditation helps condition your mind to focus. If you find that you often get foggy headed, overwhelmed, if you have a million things going on in your head at once – you need to learn how to quiet the noise and focus your attention where it’s needs to be. Often, you find that you’re in a conversation or with your family and friends – but your mind is entirely somewhere else. Meditation is a good practice to learn how to stay in the moment.
What you’re going to do is spend a few minutes meditating, everyday. With practice and time, you will find that your can better manage distracting, often negative thoughts, and find calm in your moments of stress.
7. How To Meditate Sit upright, get comfortable and set the timer on your cell phone. To begin, it can be one minute long – try to work your way up. Close your eyes and take a deep breath. Visualize the air coming into your nose and down into your body. Visualize this air as cleansing, healing – send it to areas in your body that feel pain or discomfort. As you breathe out, visualize the air leaving your body, taking any physical tension with it. Focus on all the areas of your body from head to toe.
You will naturally begin to drift into thought. When that happens, don’t judge it or feel bad. Instead see the thought, and simply let it go. Bring yourself back into your breath and your body. You want to spend time out of your head, out of your thoughts. Bring it into the physical, the present. Continue in this way until your timer goes off.
If you need a guided meditation, try this one.
8. Forward Bend Legs straight out, bend over from your hips. Go as far down as it’s comfortable for you. You will feel a fantastic stretch as you activate the muscles along the back of your thighs.
9. Sitting Stretch It’s time to get out of bed! And you’re already off to great start. You feel invigorated, your mind is alert and focused. With one leg over the and feel a great stretch from your backside along your hip and side thigh. If you feel a persistent pain in this area, or sciatica, you may want to spend a little more time here to release tension.
10. Feel grateful! It’s the beginning of a new day. You can waste it, or use if for good. Stand up straight and strong. Place your hands together or place your hand to your heart. Take a deep breath and smile – this will actually trigger emotions of happiness. You’re ready to go out there and do something awesome with your day.
Set the alarm 10 minutes early tomorrow! It’s going to be an awesome day!
I can’t wait for you to try this yourself. When it transforms your day – and I know it will – make sure to share it with your friends and loved ones. They’ll thank you for it!
p.s. want to receive more health, wellness and nutrition articles? You should join our weekly newsletter.